Our self-esteem is greatly influenced by our internal monologues. What we think about ourselves affects how we feel and what we do. It also has the power to shape our self-image in a positive or a negative way. In order to develop high self-esteem, we should speak kindly to ourselves and always choose helpful, encouraging and empowering self-talk. We should use positive statements when we speak about ourselves, reframe the negative ones and focus our attention on the positive qualities that we possess. Negative thinking can easily ruin our self-esteem if we are not careful enough, and therefore, we need to master our self-talk.
To improve your self-esteem, take charge of your thinking. Below are some quick tips on how to do this:
- Always be aware of your self-talk and do not allow negative thoughts and judgements to ruin your self-image.
- Practice thought stopping and thought replacement. Each time you notice that you start thinking in negative terms about yourself or your abilities, stop these thoughts and replace them with empowering thoughts, i.e. thoughts that bring value to your self-esteem.
- Refocus your attention on the good qualities that you possess.
- Remember and appreciate past accomplishments and take pride in past successes.
- Make use of positive affirmations. Keep them short and believable.
- Negative thoughts often pretend to be scarier than they actually are
Negative thoughts are illusions. They are not facts but pretend to be! And sometimes they seem quite scary. Here are some quick tips on how to recognize and eliminate them:
- Allow yourself to be wrong
The truth is, we cannot be right 100% of the time. Do not be too hard on yourself when making a mistake. Mistakes happen, we are all humans after all. Being judgmental and too harsh on yourself e...
- Negativity sneaks when we feel bad
Negativity is sure to sneak when we feel bad. When in a bad mood, negative emotions emerge and can easily overtake us. It is important to stay alert and prevent them from dragging us d...
- Five quick tips to get worry out of your life
Do you have the habit of worrying a lot? Do you wake up worried, or go to bed worried? If the answer is 'yes', then read these five quick tips on how to deal with worry:
Try to ...
- To stay positive, be aware of your thoughts
Being and staying positive is much easier when we are aware of our thoughts. At the beginning, this might be a tough and difficult task to achieve, but with time it will become easier to observe y...
- For positive self-talk, keep it simple
When we are worried, we often tend to think in negative terms and imagine the worst possible outcomes. As a result, we get more worried and experience negative emotions.
- For a positive life, make it a habit to count your blessings
When we are grateful: we are happy, positive and practicing positive self-talk.
Count your blessings as often as you can. This will make your self-talk more p...
- Always challenge your negative thoughts
When dealing with negative thoughts, it is very important to realize that they are not facts and do not represent the truth. The negative thoughts that reside in our minds are just tha...
- When feeling sad, observe your thoughts and give yourself time to get back to normal
When we are feeling sad, the world seems like a dull and uninteresting place. We have no desire to do anything, and nothing makes us pleased. In such times, it is very important to understand ...
- For better self-talk, control your inner critic
To maintain positive, encouraging and productive self-talk, it is very important to be aware of our inner critic and control it. Too often our internal monologue becomes so critical and negati...